Monday, January 21, 2008

I finally made up my mind

Those who read this blog more often may have noticed the minor change in the sub-title. It now reads:
Experiences from a hard core Java programmer that finally decided Ruby is a very very nice language, but rather stays on the JVM.
Compare it to the previous text:
Experiences from a hard core Java programmer that struggles with the question of switching to the world of Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
So how did I come to this conclusion? Here are some random considerations:
  • I have only once in the last 2 years used Ruby professionally (to do some counting in a site dump).
  • I do have 3 Ruby sites running (one Camping and two using Radiant). So I am not going to stop using Ruby anytime soon.
  • ActiveRecord totally kicks ass and is hugely impressive. Rails for the rest not so much (totally old school request response based, with like JSP code in the templates). It may be just my lack of experience, so don't base your opinion on this.
  • I am very addicted to correct refactoring and code completion.
  • As I wrote before, we now have Scala.
  • Update 2008-01-23: This one needs to be added. Since I recently became a father, it is simply too much to keep track of 2 worlds at the same time.
So if you expected me to be on amsterdam.rb right now, here is why.

3 comments: